Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Group Interview

I realized after I posted last night that I forgot to talk about the practice job interview for class. Normally, when going for an interview, you meet with one person, say, HR, then if they feel you're a good candidate, you go on to the next round, meeting with a manager or director or something similar. Another thing that may happen, such as when I interviewed for my current J-O-B, you have one interview with a panel of people: HR, managers, maybe a director, your immediate supervisor.
Last night, I got to experience a "group interview" in which there were three candidates and one interviewer. This tactic may be used for any position, I suppose, but it's apparently quite popular for sales positions, to see how the candidates interact, who's competitive, and that sort of thing.
The three of us in this mock interview were all classmates, so we were familiar with each other, but in a normal situation, they would be strangers, obviously. Each of us had a different approach to the interview and reasons why we should be "hired for the job."
Interestingly enough, when one of the other "candidates" would answer a question, I wanted to ask a follow-up question. I don't know exactly what that says about me, but oh well.
I'm glad to have experienced that just in case I am in a group interview situation, at least I won't be totally caught by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment