Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 175 - New Tricks (37 Days Left)

I'm sure you're familiar with that cliche saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."
I have some thoughts about that.
I am - ahem - middle aged. I have started to do that thing when I'm trying to read something and adjust my arm to the proper length for reading. I bought a pair (or two) of reading glasses at the flea market.
I am ok with this.
Last year, when I embarked on this journey through massage school, once classes started, to say that I was stunned would be pretty accurate. Prior to that, my knowledge of the human body was pretty limited to that song, "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Knees and Toes." I found that I needed to study quite a bit in order to retain the information. I started getting into a groove and understanding a catching on pretty quickly. I am finding now that I look over the information a few times and I'm good to go.
Is this because exercising the brain makes it more supple and can retain more, or is it because I'm getting familiar with the terminology and subject matter to better retain information?
Or is it a combination of both?
Either way, I'm pretty glad about the retention of information becoming a bit easier than it was in the beginning.
Speaking of information retention, we had a level test for Professional Development class tonight. I won't know what my score was until tomorrow, probably, but I'm pretty confident. We also ended up going over information about taking the national and state exams and their application processes. Quite informative.
Our instructor also gave us some words of wisdom that how we present ourselves at the school is going to potentially impact how we have been perceived and our future prospects in our massage careers. It's true. Just based on what I've seen in the hallways at the school, I don't know that I would want some of the students being my professional massage therapist.
I hope that I present myself in a friendly, if not professional, manner while at the school. I guess only time will tell.
Tomorrow night: Reflexology final exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment