Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 181 - Draping to the Max (28 Days Left)

In the 80's, when I was in my formative years, there was a teen slang language known as "Valley Girl," which I believe came from debutantes in the San Fernando valley. One of the terms used during that time was "-adjective- to the max!" For example, "Grody to the max!"
Grody meant gross or dirty, usually.
Tonight, during Core class, we learned how to drape our client's gluteus muscles. I think I've talked about draping before, but it's basically using the sheet to uncover the body part to be massaged. We had gone over this about six months ago, but it's something that needs to be practiced in case one of our clients wants some glute work done without the sheet over top the glutes.
Plus, what other way would be more perfect to get newbies over any uncomfortability issues they have?
As I worked with a newbie tonight, I had him on the table first and he enjoyed the session I did with him. I also noticed that as he was the practitioner, he tried to emulate some of the strokes and moves I used. He's learning quickly that if you see or feel a stroke or move you like as a massage therapist, you steal it and use it on your own clients.
Now, about DS. He reminds me of my dad, especially since my dad was a MP in the Army and then later a police officer, I can really relate to DS. I have to refrain myself from calling him "Dad" on occasion. He tough and demands professionalism but on another side he seems like a gentle soul.
It makes me miss my dad all the more. It's been almost two years since he passed away, but that's another subject for another blog, especially since his death was one of the catalysts for me ending up in massage school.
I just realized, I never did share about my last day in student clinic. I thought it was going to be an easy peasy day and have WGH as my last client. But it didn't work out that way. I ended up having four clients, with three repeats and one new one. One of the repeats was WGH and the other two had requested me and they were from the previous week! My new client also had some health issues and I was familiar with that particular health issue and knew the kind of questions to ask to make sure that she had a safe and therapeutic massage session.
I think it was one of the best clinic days I had, actually. Besides the fact it was my last one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! That's great that past clients are requesting you! Love you, your sis

    ReplyDelete