Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 179 - Newbie Central (30 Days Left)

The evening I started school last year, we were marched into a room of an established class who had already had one five week session consisting of a Core class, an anatomy class, and a sports massage class. Last week, the remaining students from that established group finished their program and are ready to graduate.
Tonight, after being in the program for 11 months, we had about 11 newbies begin the program in our class. They had about the same look on their faces that we had on ours last year - stunned. Wondering what just hit them.
For the next five weeks, we'll have the three classes mentioned together and then about 20 or so of us will graduate, leaving the 11 newbies alone.
Actually, they will probably have a new class start with them after we're no longer there. I guess that's the way it works.
I found myself wanting to help the newbies tonight...teaching them the ways of the force. I mean...uh...basic massage. (I was watching Star Wars last night)

We had Core class tonight with our instructor, the Drill Sergeant (DS) - whom we haven't seen for awhile. It was like throwing the newbies to the wolves. They had to sit through a couple hours of learning some real basics (hearing the same stuff again for us - ugh!) through lecture and then a brief demo, and then actual hands-on stuff. DS had the "senior" classmates partner up with the "junior" classmates to facilitate quicker learning for them.
My partner was very complimentary saying that I'll be a great massage therapist. (like I didn't know that - wiggles eyebrows) But then, it's her first night.
Those poor newbies. Do they really know what they've gotten themselves into?

1 comment:

  1. Doncha love newbies? New to Christianity, new to hearing loss, new to a church, even new to a neighborhood? I love taking newbies under my wing and teaching them the erm - force. 'Course you could always leave your massage therapist newbies with a more important bit of wisdom. "Live long - and prosper".
    "I have come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). I think Spock new Jesus.

    HUGS friend! Pray for you daily!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete