Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 154 - Rant of the Wall (72 Calendar Days Left)

When I first was registering for the massage program, the admissions person I talked to said that everybody, at some time in the program, hits a wall.
I believe I've not only hit the wall, I've crashed into it and am trying to break through it.
To say that I'm frustrated with the whole experience right now would be pretty accurate, if not an understatement. I believe most of it stems from the winter weather our region has been experiencing the last couple of weeks.
Don't get me wrong, I like a good snow storm - as long as I don't have to be out in it. However, because TPTB* at the J-O-B don't seem to care about their staff and apparently believe that being there seems to be a matter of life and death it takes an act of Congress to close due to inclement weather and then TPTB at the school reschedule cancelled snow classes on Friday nights, I cringe whenever I hear reports of a winter storm coming to town.
I have visions of my May Graduation Orlando Vacation Celebration (say that five times fast) going down the tubes because I have used all of my PTO (Paid Time Off) at the J-O-B due to the stinkin' weather.
Last week, we missed two classes due to snow and we made up one on Friday night and are scheduled to make up the other this coming Friday, with a final exam. However, last Friday, one of the student liaisons brought a "revised" schedule for this week into class and basically, the thought was that because a good number of students may not be able to make class on Friday, we would take the final exam on Wednesday, unless we can all agree to be there on Friday.
This caused a cascade of discussion on our facebook group over the weekend, and it seemed the classmates were divided on which way to go with it. By the time we got to class tonight, we still really hadn't agreed on the best thing for everybody.
THEN - in comes TPTB. They tell us that the exam is on Friday AND we have to be there the whole evening. Well, at least it was a definitive answer, frustrating as it was.
Why did they introduce the revised schedule in the first place? Was that the local school doing that, or TPTB? Does one hand know what the other is doing? It sure caused a lot of confusion and frustration among our classmates unnecessarily. Why do these things always boil down to a lack of communication?
Frankly, I have the time built up that I can sign myself out of class after the exam and I'm still good to go, but that still means driving 41 miles to the school to be there for an hour - at the most, probably.
So, what happens?
More anxiety. While sitting in class.
I can't pay attention to what's going on in the lecture because all I can think of is this junk. By the time we hit our next break, I told the teacher that I was signing out for the night and explained that I just wanted to be there for barebones on Friday, if possible. She was awesome and has worked it out with me so I can take the final at another time, Thursday before my other final, and I don't have to come at all on Friday.
That's a HUGE relief to me.
AND! I can celebrate WGH's birthday with him on his actual birthday on Friday! (He says he'll be 23, but I think I need to check his birth certificate.)
After getting all that straightened out, I still signed out for the night and came home, as there is a winter storm (ice and snow and all kinds of fun stuff) on its way and I didn't want to be a part of it tonight.
And we wonder why I keep saying I want to move to Florida.
I try not to let this stuff stress me out, but it doesn't seem to be working right now. I think if it were one or the other, J-O-B or school, it wouldn't be so bad, but between the two right now, I'm pretty much hitting the wall.
*The Powers That Be (generally meaning "Corporate")

No comments:

Post a Comment