Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 140 - Sympathetic Redneck

As I was growing up, I learned some important "improvisational engineering" skills from my dad*. When we would be out on the river on his boat, and it may do something like - well - stop, he would figure out the problem and be able to fix it with a beer can (of which there were ample supply) and rope or duct tape.
I have fixed our toilet in much the same way a couple years ago. When the little floaty thing didn't want to float that well making it keep running water, I affixed a small empty plastic bottle with twisty ties for added buoyancy. Viola! It floats and turns off the water when it's supposed to!
Last night, I took CC (the Commuter Car) through the car wash. Afterward, I noticed the radio didn't work so well on the way home from school and discovered that the antenna had been damaged in the car wash. WGH noticed it as well this morning so when he got home from work, he took a page out of my dad's book by breaking off the antenna and then "replacing it" with a wire hanger, duct taping it in there for good measure, of course.
We're rollin' real redneck now, boy, I tell ya.
So much for life OOS (Outside Of School). Back to class.
Tonight, we had more Core class and more bodywork! One of the things that we have learned in our studies is that there are basically two states of the Nervous System: Sympathetic and Parasympathetic. Sympathetic is the "fight or flight" state while the parasympathetic is the "rest and digest" state.
As Massage Therapists, we generally want our clients to be in a parasympathetic state so they can get the most benefit out of what we're doing.
Over the years when I've gotten professional massages, I noticed that I wouldn't fall asleep, but go into "the zone" - my best word to describe what happened to me. I now realize that I went into a parasympathetic state.
While getting bodywork during these Core classes, there have been times when I've gone into "the zone." Between last night and tonight, I was there.
So, much like last night...ahhhh.
Good night.
*More stories about my dad can be found by clicking here to read my eBook about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment