Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 60 - Circus

Usually, I have been very well prepared for final exams, as we have had plenty of review time in class and my own study time - over the weekend, over breaks at work, lunchtime, etc. However, when we got our final exam for Anatomy from our SUBSTITUTE teacher, I seriously think I had to pick up my jaw (mandible) from the floor. There were questions on there that did not even REMOTELY look familiar. I did my best and trudged through them, trying to remember to think logically, even if I didn't recognize one or two of the words in the question. I think some of the exam was in another language. Not sure which language, but definitely not English.
After 40 minutes of wrestling with it, I finally finished and turned it in. As I went outside, WGH was waiting in the parking lot for me, along with other students who had just finished the same exam. We all had the same look our faces - "What was that?!?!?!?" Anyway, after not knowing how I did on the exam and not feeling very confident, I did not want to leave and go home as was the original plan. I needed to find out what my grade was.
WGH being the patient, logical, and wonderful husband that he is, offered to go to Subway and get me a sub (he knew I would be hungry) and come back. In the meantime, I could get my grade and kvetch with my classmates.
So, after 15 minutes of waiting, so no movement on being able to get a grade and WGH had brought back my sub. We went to a little picnic table by a run-off pond and I scarfed down my sub so I could back and find out my grade.
30 minutes later, still no grade, but we had to break down the classroom to prepare it for Student Clinic over the weekend, making our classroom uninhabitable for 40 people to sit and wait.
The SUBSTITUTE teacher took us to another classroom and put a video on...you know, like you do for children when you want to get something done.
Another hour later - yes, an HOUR - I was standing in the hall, chatting with classmates and decided I'd take the time to visit the restroom as there was still no movement on the SUBSTITUTE front. Upon coming out of the restroom, I saw the light was on in the classroom and when I walked in, a classmate told me that my name had been called, so I announced that I was indeed there, thinking they were taking role call.
No, it was to give us our grades.
The next person on the list went up, and the next. Finally, I raised my hand and said (politely, as I try to always be), "My name was at the top of the list and I'm here." She said (in a rather annoyed and curt tone), "Well, you weren't here, so you'll have to wait."
After all that waiting and waiting, THAT is what I got?!?!?!?
Trust me, I am not the class clown, nor the troublemaker, nor the disruptor of the class.
I sit up front, pay attention and try to soak in EVERYTHING that I possibly can because I want to be the best Massage Therapist that I can be.
It was like a knife to my SOUL to hear that kind of treatment, and I was PO'ed to say the least.
One of my classmates - God bless her - came over, leaned down, and whispered that she saw my grade (I AM at the top of the list, you know) and that I had gotten an 88.
Relieved as I was to hear that I passed - and frankly, did pretty well - I was still PO'ed. Rather than get all stoopid and start yelling at somebody (the SUBSTITUTE), I gathered my things, I think I may have muttered a profanity (for which I put a quarter in the jar - I honestly don't use that sort of language, but apparently my ire was up), and walked out of the room.
From across the parking lot, the ever-so-loving-patient-and-saint-to-be-married-to-me was sitting in the car and could tell by my walk that something was afoot. He quickly drove over to me and picked me up. It took me at least 20 miles toward home to calm down.
I know that in any sort of educational system, sometimes, stuff happens. It happens in businesses all the time. I regret that I wasn't more mature in my actions, as all of my classmates and I have had the same sorts of experiences, but I chose to take the childish road by taking my toys and going elsewhere to play.
I have chosen to learn Massage Therapy, and I love the work that I am learning to do. 90% of my experience has been really great at BSOM, but there are nights like tonight where all you-know-what breaks and I feel like I am getting the short end of the stick.
Despite all of that, I am going to put on my big-girl panties, have a great weekend without any studying, and go back to class next week with a big ol' smile on my face because I know that next week, we start five or six (I can't count) weeks of nothing but bodywork.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy!!!! I'm sorry you had that experience last night. Having the good fortune of teaching you, I know you didn't deserve it! You are going to be an awesome massage therapist. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send in the clowns and the B&%TCH (Pardon my French) did not have to cop an attitude. I might have to call the School myself and give them a piece of my mind for the Subs sub par behavior.

    ReplyDelete