Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 92 - Heave Metal, Dude!

This past Saturday, WGH, one of my classmates who's become a good buddy, and I went to the Maryland Rennaissance Festival. Her Majesty's Healers is in a garden where guests of the Renn Fest can come, relax, and get massaged by one of the licensed therapists. We all indulged ourselves and got some sort of treatment shortly after we first arrived - before the massive crowds and pandemonium broke out. This was my first professional massage since I started school, so I was eager to take mental notes.
I was able to note a couple things, but for the most part, I relaxed and enjoyed it. She traced meridians on my legs (I got the legs and feet done) and did a little Thai work on them in addition to the typical Swedish style that so many are used to getting.
Not to brag on my classmates or anything, but quite honestly, it felt very similar to the massages I've received in class. The therapist that worked on me was also a graduate of the Baltimore School of Massage.
We spent the rest of the time there shopping and revelling in the Festival.


So, back to school and tonight's Acupressure class. We went over the element of Metal this evening, with its Archetype being the Alchemist. My buddy was one of two Alchemists (Metal) in the class. They are very methodical and there are set protocols to doing everything. According to the theories, Earth creates Metal and Fire controls Metal.
For bodywork, we traced the meridians (which are channels of energy, according to the theories) for Metal, which are the Lung and Large Intestine meridians. That sounds oh-so-enticing, doesn't it?
We also went over the flows for treatment. The flows are acupressure points related to this element, worked in a certain pattern, kinda like a recipe. I think I better get to practicin' cookin' with the cookbook, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment