Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 89 - Have a Seat, Get a Massage

A bunch of years ago, when I was previously married, my then-husband and I went to the Maryland Rennaissance Festival and we loved it. One of the many artisans/vendors there was called the Healing Gardens, which was basically a place that did massages. At the time, I treated myself to a foot massage and he got a neck and shoulder massage - a much more expensive treat. They did his massage fully clothed and seated in a special chair. I got a foot bath and a massage. The poor young lass doing my foot massage had to take my dusty, sweaty shoes and socks off my feet. No wonder they included the foot bath! It sure did feel heavenly, though.
Little did I know then that I would be venturing into massage myself years later!
I tell that story because we learned about chair massage this evening in Professional Development, from lecture to actually using these chairs, we got to learn about them. Because of the nature of these type of massages and where they are done (work places, malls, events, airports, and other public places), they aren't necessarily for relaxing, as Swedish table massages are, but are used to energize people in addition to its other benefits.
We combined with another class to practice, and each chair had three or four in a group using it: one in the chair getting worked on, one working on the back, and one (or two) working on the arms. Well, I had a group with four in it. When it was my turn to get in the chair, I had three people working on me. Can you say, "Ahhhhh..."?
Another area I may check into after graduating: doing massages at the Rennaissance Festival. Talk about coming full circle!

No comments:

Post a Comment