Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 80 - Accurate Pressure?

Since last week was the final for Massage Variations, that means that I started a new five week session this week. This session includes classes in Acupressure, Pathology, and Professional Development, and tonight's class was Acupressure.
It has nothing to do with pressure being accurate or acute.
So far my understanding of it is that ancient people in the East (China) tried to understand the human body and found that pressure on certain points will help people feel better. They use terms like Taoism, Chi, Yin & Yang, Shen, and Jing.
These are my impressions of the words we went over tonight:
I read the Tao of Pooh one time, about truisms from Winnie the Pooh, one of the great philosophers. WGH has introduced me to the Chi-Lites' music - it's kinda R&B so I like it. Yin & Yang were a mime duo that guest starred on The Muppet Show in the 70's quite a bit. Shen was one of the Three Stooges. And finally, Jing is a game played with blocks stacked on top of each other. The idea is to pull one out and put it on top of the stack without knocking the whole thing over.
You may get the impression that I'm quite the Western American girl - from the East Coast. When I was growing up, my family's idea of Chinese food was Chun King Chicken Chow Mein from a can. There was one Jewish boy in my whole elementary school class and we were all shocked he didn't know who Jesus was. (Yes, the students even discussed this in a public school - in 1978!) There were very few Asians in my elementary school - I think one family. I seem to remember the words "refugee" and "Vietnam" being said about them, but I didn't know what they meant.
I guess you could say that I grew up in a very White Bread area. I think it should have have been named WonderBreadville.
Since going to college and getting out into the workforce, I have experienced much more diversity, but needless to say, my exposure to Eastern medicine or culture is next to nothing. This class will definitely present a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment