Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 21 - New Class, New Teacher

Tonight, we started the next class - Core. It's basically like Swedish, but not exactly - the really nice stuff that everybody likes.

One of our new instructors for this section is Anthony, whom I'd actually met at the career fair at the booth he had set up for his business. He's definitely going to be a stickler for professionalism in class, which is a really good thing. It's good to learn these things now and not have to learn them the hard way, like when we're working. Professionalism includes the student dress code, attendance, hygeine, no electronics usage and that sort of thing. I've strived to be as professional as I can as a student, but I know sometimes I slip up, so it'll be good to keep it in the forefront of my mind. I definitely look forward to learning more from him. I just hope our class doesn't make him lose his head.
Also during the lecture, we learned more about Body Mechanics (taking care of our own bodies while working on somebody else) and about effleurage, which sounds like a bouquet of french flowers to me, but is actually a way of doing certain strokes during a Core-type (Swedish) massage. Since this was the first night of the class, I didn't think we'd be doing bodywork, but brought my supplies with me, just in case. Good thing. We did bodywork. And it was wonderful! We worked on the upper posterior body, which is the back in layman's terms.
Our final is on Thursday, and it's all practical and no written. Unfortunately, I won't have time, really, to practice on anybody outside of class before the final. Bummer.
Oh - and the other good news - my table is in and I'll pick it up tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment