Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 18 - Woolgathered

My mother uses an exression she learned from her mother: woolgathered or woolgathering. Not being a member of the "Greatest Generation," I didn't know what she meant when she used it one time. She meant it to mean that she was just a little "off" - she had just come out of a daze where she apparently bumped her head and didn't really remember where she was or why she was there. Regardless, I just looked it up on dictionary.com and it says that it means 'daydreaming.'
Well, I feel like one of the things we went over tonight in class reminded me of woolgathering.
The fascia - the tissue that binds and compartmentalizes muscle and other connective tissue - sometimes gets bound up and needs to be worked to get it to go where it's supposed to go. To be honest, when we read about it in the textbook, I was clearly confused and they could have been writing in Japanese for all I understood what they were trying to say. Then Molly, my hero of a teacher, explained it in plain English for the rest of us who didn't really get it.
Molly also talked to us again about how we need to take care of ourselves as bodyworkers: get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, eat balanced meals, exercise, meditate, get massages, take epsom salt baths, and just generally be good to ourselves. She also mentioned "smudging" again, burning dried sage bundles, which is said to remove negative energy. I'm not sure about the whole energy thing, but if it's something that is calming and relaxing, I'll try it.


Then - the bodywork. I think it's everybody's favorite part. Then there's the decision of who gets on the table first. If you go first, you get to relax and rejeuvenate first and be ready to work on your partner, but if you go second, you leave and go home all relaxed. It's a tough decision.
I know I've talked about it a lot recently, but I am so happy and grateful to be working in Frederick now. It makes all the difference in the world!
Also, I think I'm not losing an arm and a leg in gasoline costs!

1 comment:

  1. Be sure and hang on to your mileage log. Since this is going to and from "school", it's tax deductible I believe.

    It's nice having a teacher break down those "hard to decipher" concepts from a text!

    ReplyDelete