Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 13 - No More Tears

Chopping onions is no fun. There are tears. It can ruin make-up for the rest of the day. On more than one occasion, I've had to walk away from the kitchen to get my eyes to dry.
In this session, we learned about "Peeling the onion," a process by working on the top layers of muscle to loosen them allows the bodyworker to get to deeper layers.
I believe I found out about this last Friday night, as I worked on my nephew's back. Since he's a bodybuilder, he's got all sorts of muscle and he's a tough guy, so I knew that I could really put my weight into his muscles. He had several knots between his shoulder blades that I was enjoying digging into with my elbow. He even seemed to enjoy it. I worked on him for at least an hour and he was pretty much jelly when I was done.
In class, we also learned a little bit about SOAP notes - a method of keeping notes about each client we work on so that we know where we've been and where we're going with the work we do on them. It has nothing to do with hygeine, but rather an acronym for the words "Subjective, Objective, Action, and Plan." We'll learn more about that later.
For the bodywork portion of the evening, we learned how to use the knuckles as a more specific tool to get down into muscules and then we got to work on a partner. My partner got to work on me, and focus on my quads, where I seem to be holding a lot of tightness. I reciprocated and worked on him, focusing on his hamstrings and back. Man, I love this stuff!
Outside of class, last week, I found out that a position was open in the Frederick office at the company where I work, and I had applied for it. I got the great news yesterday that I got it and will be starting to work in Frederick beginning next Monday! I'll be much closer to my home and won't have to deal with the awful commuter traffic going to Montgomery County. What a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment