Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 107 - Proton Packs and 80's Flashbacks

I took chemistry - oh - about 22 years ago or so, and the class I took was Chemistry and Society, which was a science class for non-science majors. Definitely me. I enjoyed the chemistry class because it was stuff I could actually relate to: acetone is the active ingredient in fingernail polish remover. And then to find out that acetone will also make styrofoam non-puffy, melting it, in effect. That stuff was way cool. Not like whatever it was that the science majors had to take!
In tonight's anatomy class, we went over at a very high-level about chemistry. Basically, what is an atom, a cell, and so on and so forth. When we started discussing protons and neutrons, it all came back to me, but I also had an 80's flashback to the Ghostbusters strapping on their proton packs and capturing ghosts.
We also starting going over information about cells and their structures and functions, but we ran out of time and had to turn our classroom into the clinic setting. We had to fold up our classroom tables and bring in massage tables, pull the curtains around to form "cubicles," and make sure that each cubicle had what it needs: table, chair, stool, head rest, and bolster, which is a fancy name for round pillow used for support.
This Saturday, I begin my time in public clinic for four and a half hours pretty much every Saturday between now and March. After my shifts, I plan on giving a review, or at least my view of what happened.
So, until then, Bon Soir.

No comments:

Post a Comment