Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 33 - What a Heart...and other Cardiovascular Parts

Prior to my arrival to day 33 of the program, I was returning from a long weekend in Cape May, NJ with my sisters - a Girls' Weekend, if you will. I had a little bit of time to study when I wasn't sitting on the front porch, sipping cawfie, shopping down at the promenade, or checking out the (yuck) sites in Atlantic City. I thought Atlantic City was a dirty place and I don't really care to go back. I felt like I needed to bathe myself in hand sanitizer after leaving. On my way back today, I had actually taken the Lewes-Cape May Ferry, and definitely enjoyed the ride and the drive back to school. Much better than going up close to Philly and down I-95. Ugh! No way!!!!
Anyway, back to class.
First thing in class...you guessed it - another quiz on anatomy! This time it was the Endocrine System. I aced it, getting 10 points out of 10 points. My sister, Nita, helped me study a little bit by doing flashcards with me. Thanks, Nita!
After the quiz, we began learning about the Cardiovascular System. No, I did not want to go do aerobics after the class. Although it did help me learn why it's good to keep the heart healthy, despite my laziness/inability to do anything about it right now due to my schedule.
We learned all about how blood flows through the left and right atrials, the valves, and the ventricles. We got to color in pictures of the heart to understand all of its parts and how they work.
Interesting, though...the heart isn't really all that heart-shaped.

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered what the history was that created "heart shaped" when it doesn't look anything like the human heart.

    Also... how did it become associated with emotions? "Heart-broken"? Your posts are good at making me ask questions! I suppose my next stop is Google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you think, doesn't it?
    We also discussed briefly about how blood is life's essence. Hmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete