Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 30 - Trigger and a Pain in the Neck

We had some more lecture about trigger points in the neck and head, and potential injuries that we may see as Massage Therapists (whiplash, TMJD, and other stuff), and then did some bodywork to practice what we had learned. One of the things we learned about trigger points the very first night was that not everybody will have them. Also, they can be caused by an event, such as a sports injury, or caused by perpetuation, like bad posture.
Sunday night, as I was practicing on WGH, I was palpating his scapula (that means I was feeling around his shoulder blade), and he jumped and said that he felt a little pain in his foot when I touched in a certain area area his scapula.
HOT DOG! I found a trigger point! I got a real chance to see what I had just started learning last week! I tried working it out a little from my memory. I'll get it next time, for sure.
This evening, as my partner worked on my neck, I had almost a shooting pain in one area she was working, but didn't feel it in any other part of my body, which is a tell-tale sign of a trigger point. It was quite fascinating to feel as she worked on it and learned in practice the theories we heard about in lecture.
I can tell that WGH is going to be getting some neck work in from me as I need to practice a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment