Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 192 - Mechanical (8 Days Left)

A couple weekends ago, it was time to change the toilet seat. Exciting, right?
Upon attempting to remove the nut from the bottom of the seat, I found it was extremely tight - I couldn't even budge it with just my fingers. I had to go to my handy-dandy tool box and get my pliers, which ended up working just fine.
In tonight's anatomy class, we studied the reason why the pliers worked when just my fingers didn't: it all had to do with the lever system. We studied the differences between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class levers and how they relate to every day life and also to the body, specifically muscles and bones. We even did a little math, learning the formula for figuring out force needed to be effective in each lever class.
I actually enjoyed it, once I started understanding what we were talking about. I sometimes wonder if I'm mechanically inclined. But then I think about all the grease on the car and how dirty I would get and decide that, no, I'm not mechanically inclined.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, I was really hoping for a picture of the new toilet seat - LOL

    I almost fell out of my chair when I read you enjoyed anything to do with math. I guess as a teacher I hear students GROAN about it so much.

    It makes sense a massage therapist would need to know about leverage, for I can certainly understand how it would be important to know how "best" to get at certain muscles.

    In psychology it has more to do with discovering the best way to align one's self so as to manipulate. I guess it's all related in a way...

    Time is ticking away...

    HUGS,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete