Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 122 - Getting a Clue with Shiatsu

Before I tell of all the exciting things that happened in class, I have to share a confirmation I received today on why I am going into this field.
While at the J-O-B, I noticed a co-worker in her office with the lights off, which was quite unusual. She explained that she had been experiencing one of the worst migraine headaches she's had - for the whole last week! She seemed very lethargic, too, which is pretty unusual for her. I told her that though I had learned some stuff that may help, I wouldn't want to "practice" on her. She said that she was going to the doctor and see if they can help.
After she returned from the doctor, she asked me to help her. Besides saying that she was experiencing stress and possibly not eating balanced meals, the doctor had found some knots in her trapezius muscles that may be causing the headache. I almost immediately found them and went to working them out, using some pincer techniques, friction, vibration, compressions, and good ol' petrissage. After about 10 minutes - 15 at the most - I felt I had done all I could in that "session" and wrapped up with her. She said that she felt better and more loose in the shoulders and after a little chat, she left the room. About 10 minutes later, she came bee-bopping back into the room with a much more energetic demeanor and said she was feeling better.
So, in case you're wondering, THAT'S why I'm putting myself through this grueling schedule. To help people feel better. I love that feeling!
Anyway, back to class. We discussed what a client's reaction may be to a shiatsu session, benefits to it, and a little bit more about Eastern Medicine and how it relates to shiatsu. I find it interesting that it seems to mix the physical work with the energy work. Of course, I could be wrong about all of that.
We got our "big" assignment, which is creating a protocol for a made up client. We also got to see protocols made up in previous classes, as well as see a little bit of demonstration of some "extra moves" that are to be used in the protocol. The extra moves seem to be very similar moves, if not the same, to Thai massage.
My understanding of Thai massage: do Yoga for your client and bend your client into a pretzel until screaming begins.
I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment