Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 120 - Pathology - Kinda Like a Review

In last session's Anatomy class, we studied the Integument system (skin). In this session's Pathology class, we studied the Integument system - or more of what can possibly go wrong with the skin.
We learned about fungus on the skin, parasites on the skin, burns, frostbite, various STD's, and cancers that affect the skin. We got to pictures of examples of a good number of them. And I just gotta say - EWWWWWWW!!!!
All that to say that should I have you on my table and I say, "EWWWWWWW!" You might want to see your dermatologist.
Or if I just simply say, "I see this thing, and you may want to see your dermatologist." You might want to see your dermatologist.
Before these classes, I would not have called myself a germophobe. After all, I'm one of those people that pretty well thinks that we're too clean and too anti-bacterial. If you don't have some germs for your body's immune system to fight, it will just attack whatever foreign stuff it sees. Right?

Well, after serveral months of being classes, I started noticing that if I didn't wash my hands after a certain amount of time, or I was in a public place, touching railings or handles, I really had the desire to wash my hands. I especially noticed this feeling when I was in New York City a month ago.
Today, one of my co-workers at the J-O-B went home sick after making a technicolor offering to the toilet gods. After her departure, I got out the handy-dandy Clorox wipes, wiped down her desk, then sprayed everything around her desk that I could find with Clorox disinfectant spray. Then washed my hands twice, sprayed down everything in the restroom, washed my hands again, sprayed the door handles for good measure, and then washed my hands again.
When I arrived home after studying pathologies of the skin this evening, I washed my hands.
I think the classes are starting to affect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment