Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 7 - First Aid - Not Kool-Aid

First thing's first. I have meant to post this picture. It's pretty well known that when you go into a public restroom, there is a good chance that there may be graffiti. Well, I found during my first visit to BSOM that the bathroom wall graffiti is a bit different that than the derogatory stuff you may normally see. This photo was taken in the restroom stall - written on the door.
So, into Day 7, where we studied more of First Aid.
We focused on First Aid, learning things like how to respond in an emergency, how to stop a bleed, what to do if someone is having chest pain or a potential heart attack, and what to do if someone is choking. A couple of my classmates have already been in some of these situations to need to be the person helping in an emergency, so I'm sure they were glad to have actually gotten this information.
We also learned about Personal Protective Equipment, which is something I've actually learned about at my current job. Since it's a bio-services company, there are human tissue and fluid samples and each employee, regardless of position, is supposed to know how to protect themselves against bloodborn pathogens. Sounds like fun, huh? Anyway, I think I've got that part of the class covered. :-)
As we have more classes, I'm getting to know my classmates. They are definitely an interesting and diverse group, each bringing their own background to discussions about situations.
One of my classmates asked me if I had lost weight! Hey - that's encouraging! Even if I hadn't lost ANYTHING, it still helps to think that maybe I've changed enough in the last week and half...maybe standing straighter or exuding more confidence, but she noticed SOMETHING! She said it wasn't my haircut, but something. Pretty cool.
Now, if I can just stay away from those Reeses Whipps...

No comments:

Post a Comment